Friday, February 10, 2012

Craigslist Wine Rack Update


So it's only taken me 7 months to finally finish my wine rack. We had a busy fall with Mini DIY starting preschool and then all the illnesses that come along with preschool germs.

A couple weekends ago, I decided enough was enough and I was going to finish my wine rack. I needed to get the wine out of my cabinets and my hubby needed the wine rack out of the shed. Now that it is finished, I've determined I have too much wine and need a bigger rack. Or I could just drink it. :)

If you remember, the wine rack was in pretty sad shape. Lots of dust, mildew, and some missing screws. Since it was only $10, I figured I could do something with it. After a good cleaning, repairing and sanding, I finally decided on a color: Valspar's Lake Country #5003-5C.

I'm really loving all the aqua and turquoise that I'm seeing out in blogland these days. It's quite a stretch from my typical decorating style. A style that I'm slowly but surely changing. I grabbed a million paint chips and spent a good hour pouring over them in the Lowes paint department...like I do everytime I decide to paint something. I picked Lake Country on a whim and I love it!

I painted one coat of Kilz primer and 2 coats of Lake Country on. I hit the edges and a few other places with the palm sander to distress it. After the paint had dried, I rubbed on a Valspar Antiquing Glaze all over. I think it toned down the paint color and gave it a nice rustic finish.

I didn't take any pictures of the painting and staining of the wine rack. I figure that is pretty self-explanatory.

The top that Mr. DIY cut for me is stained with a couple coats of Minwax Special Walnut. I decided that it wasn't really dark enough for me so after the Special Walnut dried, I went back over it with a couple coats of Minwax Dark Walnut.

So without further ado, here is my new wine rack.




And just a reminder of what it looked like before:




6 comments:

  1. You done good! I have lots of pieces to do - some day. Sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get my rear in gear in just finish stuff. I've sold many pieces that I didn't get around to finishing before cold weather kicked in...one of which was another antique wardrobe that I scored for $50.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great, Tricia! And tell me about it when it comes to just doing the projects. I need to do something around my house soon!

    Keep me coming girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, that was suppose to say keep'em coming. Wow, auto correct is a killer! It's funny though, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sanding is a noteworthy cost focus in the carpentry business. When you have outgrown the wastefulness of electric sanders, the subsequent stage is to climb to air sanders. At the point when this happens you will require an air compressor that can supply adequate wind current to keep your air sanders running. I find a very good website for the Best palm sander 2018, If you want you can visit this site.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, opinions and ideas. Share with me!!